Monday, April 12, 2010

Texas Two Step Tutorial Part 1

We have started a swap group in my guild and the first swap is coming up so I thought I would write a tutorial on how to make the block for the swap.  We are using Lynn Roddy Browns method and pattern for swapping.  In her book, Simple Strategies for Scrap Quilts she gives instructions for using a 5 1/2" strip but since we want to make more than one at a time I am showing how to use fat quarters.  This will also work for 1/2 yard pieces, just double the triangle paper.  You can get 5 or 6 blocks from a fat quarter.  Fabric width varies a lot these days and I was able to get 6 blocks from  Moda fat quarters but only 5 complete ones from some other companies.  So a half yard of a light and a dark will make at least 10 blocks which is what we have defined as a set.

First we are using a dark or medium and a light.  Prints are good because it will give the quilt texture, solids and tone on tones are not as good so try not to use too many of them.

We are using triangle paper of some kind - Thangles, Triangles on a Roll, or Triangle Paper.  I personally like Triangle Paper because I think for this project it makes good use of the fabric.  One sheet of 4" finished Triangle paper will yield 6 half square triangles, just right for the fat quarter layout.




Put the two fat quarters right sides together, if you press them together they kind of stick.  Pin down the paper and then cut 2 strips along the side, then 2 strips across the top, these will be for the 4 patch units.  These strips are 2 1/2" but I like to cut mine a bit bigger (2 5/8") and then trim my blocks at the end.  There is enough fabric to do this and although it adds an extra step I like to be really accurate when I am swapping with others.


Now sew the triangle paper - just follow the sewing lines
 and then cut on the cutting lines.


Tear the paper off,
 press and just like that you have 12 half square triangles!

No comments: