Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Giving Birth Part 2

For the past few months I have worked on a quilt for my guild show.  I spent a lot of time thinking about how to do what I envisioned and then spent even more time doing it.  This was for our Chairmens challenge category which was to use 30's reproduction fabrics.

The challenge was issued about a year ago and I chose and then rejected patterns for at least 7 months.  I decided to do my own thing and then it sort of unfolded as I went along.  I tried techniques I had never done before - trapunto, applique, and a scallop border.  The center was a lot of white and I heavily quilted it using some ideas from Leah Day.  I put my heart and soul into that quilt and when it was done I was satisfied.  Is it perfect?  Far from it but I felt I had done my best and I liked the outcome.  sort of like giving birth.

Since I would be out of town for the show I took it to a friends house for show delivery.  She was not home at the time but she later called me after she peeked at it and made me feel very good about it.  If Kayleen liked it then all the work was worth it.

My friend called me after the show started to tell me that my quilt got  a second place ribbon - I was thrilled!  I can't wait to get home to see it and to read the judges comments.

1 comment:

Wendy said...

I follow Leah Day, too. She's wonderful, isn't she? The quilt is beautiful!

Congrats on the new baby!