Thursday, January 22, 2009

Pressing Matters

As quilters and sewers we know that pressing is important. When sewing clothing seams must be pressed open and when quilting we usually press them to one side. Lately I have been seeing some discussion about which iron is the best, so I thought I would put my opinion into the mix. Quilters Home had an article rating irons and I read that with interest. I know this was not a scientific rating but I think it is very helpful to see what experiences others have had.

I started my sewing life with a G.E. iron, I am pretty sure G.E. does not make irons anymore but it was a functional steam iron that pretty much did the job. I then had a cordless iron - it was a pain because it kept cooling down and had to be put back on the base. I then moved on to a Rowenta and I have been a fan ever since. I wanted the weight to help press open seams and for other functions in dressmaking. I liked the pointy tip and it was big! I really started wanting a steam generator iron because it seemed as though I was always filling the darn thing. A few years ago I got my Rowenta steam generator iron and I love it with a capital 'L'. (I know my grandma used to say that you can't love and object but . . .)


The water goes in the base unit and the steam comes through a hose that has never gotten in the way or annoyed me

A few months ago I used an Oliso iron at a quilt retreat - everyone seems to be talking about this one, it lifts up when you aren't touching it so it does not scorch your fabric. At first it was kinda cool but then it got annoying and when I returned home and started using my Rowenta again I realized how heavy that Oliso was compared to mine and I was "in love" all over again.

I also own the Rowenta craft iron and a Singer press that I got at a garage sale for cheap. I only use the press when fusing large quantities of interfacing - it is great for T shirt quilts. The baby Rowenta is my take along and I also set it up right next to me when doing a lot of little fussy stitching that requires pressing after every 1" seam (some of Pam Bono's patterns)

Now if I could just find an ironing board cover I like life would be good.

No comments: